About this Recipe
Bistek is a classic, hearty Filipinx dish that takes readily to vegan adaptations. It is a delicious medley of salty, tangy, and savory flavors and is traditionally served with steamed rice. For a Bistek recipe that has an alternative to the Better Chew Vegan Philly Shredded “Steak”, see Shiitake Bistek.
Recipe by: @VeganCookingMom
Photos by: @VeganCookingMom
- 1 package of Better Chew’s Vegan Philly Shredded “Steak” (7-ounce size)
- ½ cup water (or sparkling water)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (adjust to taste depending on soy sauce brand)
- 2-3 tablespoons (or as desired) citrus juice (lemon/lime/kalamansi)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, peeled and sliced
- ½ teaspoon Arrowroot starch powder (for thickening sauce)
- Mix and marinate vegan “beef” in water, soy sauce, ½ citrus juice, and sugar for about 15-30 minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and pour 1 tablespoon of oil. To check if the oil is hot, insert a barbecue stick. If it bubbles, the oil is ready.
- Once the oil is hot, saute vegan “beef” until evenly browned.
- Remove vegan “beef” from oil and set aside.
- Add ½ tablespoon of oil to the pan and add sliced onions. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining marinade sauce to the pan with the onions. Let the onions boil for a minute or two.
- Set aside onions with the vegan “beef.”
- Add the remaining citrus juice to the pan.
- Add arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Pour sauce over the vegan ‘beef” and onions.
- Serve with rice.