Adobo sa Gata
About this Recipe
Adobo with pineapple is another delicious variation on the classic Filipinx adobo! With tempeh cubes, juicy pineapple chunks and a sweet and salty sauce, it’s perfect with steamed rice!
Recipe by: Mabi David and Karla Rey of Me & My Veg Mouth
Photos by: Kimberly Sandie
- 2 (8 ounce) blocks of tempeh, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vinegar
- About ½ cup ripe pineapple, cut into ½ inch chunks (if using from can, this is about 2 rings of pineapple slices)
- ¾ cup (half a can) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoons peppercorns, crushed
- Salt to taste
- 1 to 2 dried bay leaves (optional)
Make the marinade by mixing the soy sauce and garlic. Soak the tempeh for about 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the tempeh cubes until they are a little bit crunchy on the outside.
Scoop out the minced garlic from the marinade and fry, in same pan as tempeh, until golden.
Add in the pineapple and let cook for 2 minutes or so until pineapple has caramelized.
Add the vinegar, then the coconut milk, crushed peppercorns and bay leaves.
Lower the heat. Cook until coconut milk is slightly reduced.
Adjust to taste and serve with rice!