About this Recipe
Ginataang Langka is an extremely satisfying, rich, and comforting dish that literally translates to “Young Jackfruit in Coconut Milk”. It is one of the simplest Filipinx dishes because all you have to do is simmer the jackfruit in coconut milk with seasonings.
Recipe by: RG Enriquez at astigvegan
Photos by: Deborah Svoboda of outoftheshadowsmedia
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed, and minced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups green unripe young jackfruit, sliced. (If using canned, drain from brine. For fresh and frozen kinds, remove seeds and some husks).
- 2-3 chili peppers, sliced (or more for extra kick). You can use Thai chili, serrano, or jalapeno. For mild peppery taste, use finger chili or bell pepper.
- ¼ cup mushroom broth or vegetable broth
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cup coconut cream
- Old Bay Seasoning to taste (optional)
In a medium-size pot, combine all ingredients except coconut cream.
Cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes or until jackfruit has softened and almost all broth has been absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pot
Pour coconut cream. Mix and simmer for another 5-7 minutes over low heat.
Adjust salt and Old Bay Seasoning to taste.
Turn off heat and serve hot with a side of rice.