About this Recipe
Kaldereta is a spicy, tomato-based stew with “meat” and potatoes that is loved by many Filipinx. This popular dish is commonly served on special occasions, but there is no need to wait to enjoy this classic, hearty dish.
Recipe by: Jimel Iglesia
Photos by: Emily Lavieri-Scull
- 1 pack of tofu, thoroughly dried and cut into cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled, and minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 potato, cut into cubes
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon salt + pepper
- ¼ cup green olives, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 Thai chilies
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup of water and vegan “chicken” bouillon
- 3 heaping tablespoons vegan butter
In a wok, heat the vegan butter over medium high heat.
Add the cubed tofu and pan fry on each side until golden brown. Set aside.
Add the garlic, onion, tomato, bay leaves, Thai chilies, salt, pepper, and cook until the onion has become translucent.
Pour in the tomato sauce, coconut aminos, bouillon water, and bring to a boil.
Carefully add in the potatoes, carrots, green olives, red bell pepper, tofu and simmer over medium low heat for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes have become fork tender.