- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2½ cups warm water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 7-8 cups all purpose flour
- Bread crumbs (Optional)
Recipe by: Lola Esther Rizarri
Photos by: Andy Real & Sierra Barsten
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Mix yeast, sugar, and 1 cup warm water and let rise for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add remaining warm water, vegetable oil, sugar, and salt. Mix until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Gradually add in flour using a whisk. Add 2 cups of flour to start. Mix until lumps disappear. Continue adding flour one cup at a time, using a wooden spoon.
- Knead dough for about 10-14 minutes. If sticky, continue to add more flour. Let rise for about an hour and a half.
- Once risen, punch down the dough. Cut into small pieces and form into Pandesal size (about 4” wide) or the size you prefer. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
Arrange onto the baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Allow Pandesal to rest for 5 minutes before serving.