About this Recipe
Pinakbet or Pakbet is an indigenous mixed vegetable stew from the northern regions of the Philippines that is as flavorful as it is colorful. Try this delicious, hearty dish today and find out why it is a favorite amongst many Filipinx!
Recipe by: Maria of Vegan Cooking Mom
Photos by: Deborah Svoboda of Out of the Shadows Media
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled, and thinly sliced into strips
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium Chinese eggplant, quartered
- 1 medium bittermelon, quartered
- 7–8 pieces okra
- 2 cups squash (calabaza or kabocha), quartered
- 8 pieces sitaw/long beans, ends trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Sauté garlic and ginger in oil until golden brown. Add onion and tomatoes.
Add squash and 2 cups broth. Cook until tender.
Add bittermelon and okra. When cooked half-done, add eggplant and long beans. Add more broth to your liking.
Season with salt and pepper.