Si Sisig ay isang tradisyunal na Kapampangan "pulutan," isang pinggan na napupunta rin sa isang alkohol inumin. Ito vegan bersyon lasa tulad ng orihinal maliban maaari mong gawin ito sa kalahati ng oras. Tuktok na may isang vegan fried itlog para sa isang tunay na karanasan sa sisig.
Recipe by: RG Enriquez of Astig Vegan
Photos by: Erika Galera
For the marinade:
- ½ tasa ng toyo
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed, and minced
- ¼ tasa ng coconut vinegar
- ¾ tablespoon asukal
- ½ kutsaritang whole peppercorns
For main ingredients:
- 7–10 pieces Shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 12 pieces Oyster mushrooms, diced
- 2 ounces Beech mushrooms, diced
- 1 block firm tofu, diced
- Smoked paprika (optional)
For the sauté:
- 2 kutsarang refined coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon ginger, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 chili peppers, or more for an extra kick (you may also save some for garnish)
- ½ tablespoon kalamansi juice, or lemon or lime juice
Combine all the main ingredients, except tofu, into the marinade and marinate for 15 minutes. Remove mushroom and set aside. Save marinade sauce.
Heat a pan over high heat and pour oil. Fry tofu on all sides until golden brown. Season with smoked paprika (optional).
Lower heat and set aside tofu. Add more oil and sauté garlic, ginger, and onion until onion has become soft and translucent.
Add chili pepper, mushroom, tofu, and kalamansi juice. Mix well. Add more marinade sauce if preferred.
Cook until sauce has reduced and dried up, about 15–20 minutes. If the sauce has not dried up, drain the remaining sauce. Continue to cook the tofu and mushrooms until there’s no more watery sauce. Adjust seasoning to taste. Turn off heat and serve hot, preferably with rice on the side.